Wambrook (St. Mary)
WAMBROOK (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Chard, hundred of Beaminster, Bridport division of Dorset, 2 miles (S. W.) from Chard; containing 223 inhabitants. It is situated near the great western road from London, and comprises 1889a. 2r. 14p., of which about 150 acres are woodland and plantation, 100 furze and rough pasture, 55 orchard, and the remainder meadow, pasture, and arable. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 7. 1., and in the patronage of the Rev. H. Edwards; net income, £262. The church, which was anciently a chapel to the vicarage of Chardstock, contains 150 sittings.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.