Walton-On-The-Wolds (St. Mary)
WALTON-ON-THE-WOLDS (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Barrow-upon-Soar, hundred of East Goscote, N. division of the county of Leicester, 4 miles (E.) from Loughborough; containing 285 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the west by the river Soar, and is intersected by the road from Loughborough to Melton-Mowbray: it comprises 1500 acres by admeasurement. Limestone is quarried for agricultural purposes. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £15; net income, £403; patron, the Rev. Augustus Packe. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1792: there is a parsonagehouse, and the glebe altogether contains 289 acres. The church is a neat brick edifice, built in 1739. There is a place of worship for Primitive Methodists.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.