DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.
UK Genealogy Archives logo

Walton-In-Gordano (St. Paul)

WALTON-IN-GORDANO (St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Bedminster, hundred of Portbury, E. division of Somerset, 14 miles (W.) from Bristol; containing 217 inhabitants. This manor was owned by Ralph de Mortimer, kinsman of William the Conqueror; some of his family were earls of March, and under them the manor was held for several generations by Richard de Walton and his descendants. The parish is bounded on the west by the Bristol Channel, and is situated about two miles north of Clevedon, a favourite wateringplace, nearly opposite to Cardiff. It comprises 1153a. 2r. 22p., of which 120 acres are common or waste land. Stone is abundant, and there is a quarry. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 15. 5., and in the gift of P. J. Miles, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £180, and the glebe comprises 25 acres. The church is a plain edifice, built about 1710, and enlarged to nearly double its original size in 1838. Some remains exist of a more ancient church at the foot of the hill occupied by Walton Castle, an octangular pile, embattled, and crowned at each angle with a turret; the principal entrance to the castle is on the east, and the keep is in the centre of the area.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.

Advertisement

Advertisement