WALKHAMPTON, a parish, in the union of Tavistock, hundred of Roborough, Midland-Roborough and S. divisions of Devon, 4½ miles (S. E. by E.) from Tavistock; containing 717 inhabitants. It comprises 10,501 acres, of which 6602 are common or waste. The Plymouth railway passes through. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £9. 14. 7., and in the gift of Sir R. Lopes, Bart.: the great tithes have been commuted for £124, and the vicarial tithes for £140, with a glebe of 21 acres; there is also a rentcharge of £37. 10. payable to the rector of Bickleigh. The church is situated on the verge of Dartmoor Forest. Lady Modyford, in 1719, gave a school-house, with the rent of certain premises, now producing £161 per annum.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.