VENTNOR, a fashionable watering-place, in the parish of Newchurch, liberty of East Medina, Isle of Wight division of the county of Southampton, 10 miles (S. E. by S.) from Newport; containing 970 inhabitants. This place, which is situated on the southern coast of the island, has risen into reputation owing to the salubrity of the air, which in the winter season is remarkably mild and dry, shelter being afforded from the north and east winds by the Undercliff. An act was passed in 1844 for establishing a market, and for the general improvement of the place. Stone applicable to building purposes abounds, and in the vicinity is an excellent flour-mill. The church here, dedicated to St. Catherine, is a handsome structure in the early English style, with a spire 103 feet high, the whole erected at the expense of John Hambrough, Esq., of Steephill Castle, who is the patron; it was consecrated on 20th July, 1837, and contains 500 sittings, one-third of which are free. The founder also munificently endowed it with £1000, and erected a parsonage-house, at a cost of £2500. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyan Methodists.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.