Uplowman (St. Peter)
UPLOWMAN (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Tiverton, partly in the hundred of Halberton, but chiefly in that of Tiverton, Collumpton and N. divisions of Devon, 4½ miles (E. N. E.) from Tiverton; containing, with the tything of Whitnage, 428 inhabitants. The parish comprises 2537 acres, of which 49 are common or waste. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £21. 0. 10., and in the gift of the Rev. Sydenham Pidsley; net income, £601.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.