TYTHERLEY WEST, a parish, in the union of Stockbridge, hundred of Thorngate, Romsey and S. divisions of the county of Southampton, 7½ miles (S. W. by W.) from Stockbridge; containing 469 inhabitants. The parish comprises 2270a. 15p., of which 1883 acres are woodland, and the remainder pasture and arable; the soil is clay, with a substratum of chalk. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 5. 10., and in the gift of C. B. Wall, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £361; there is a parsonage-house, and the glebe comprises 31 acres. The church was rebuilt by subscription in 1832-3, at a cost of £1744.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.