Tydd (St. Giles)
TYDD (St. Giles), a parish, in the union and hundred of Wisbech, Isle of Ely, county of Cambridge, 5½ miles (N. W. by N.) from Wisbech; containing 863 inhabitants. The Bedford-Level canal, 100 feet wide and 30 feet deep, passes here, by the construction of which many acres of fenny land, belonging to the Duke of Bedford, were rendered arable. Woad for dyeing cloth is prepared in the parish. The living is a rectory, in the patronage of the Bishop of Ely, valued in the king's books at £21. 13. 1½.; net income, £653. The church and steeple are widely detached, probably in consequence of the percolating soil. There is a place of worship for Independents.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.