TURNHAM-GREEN, a hamlet, in the parish of Chiswick, union of Brentford, Kensington division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county of Middlesex, 5 miles (W. by S.) from London. The great western road passes through. The village contains many handsome houses occupied by genteel families; it is lighted with gas, and supplied with water from the West London water-works. On the south side is the Horticultural Society's garden, the principal entrance to which is from the green here. A cruciform church in the early English style, with a handsome tower surmounted by a lofty spire, has lately been erected; it is a district church, and dedicated to Christ. The living is in the gift of the Bishop of London.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.