Trowell (St. Helen)
TROWELL (St. Helen), a parish, in the union of Basford, S. division of the wapentake of Broxtow, N. division of the county of Nottingham, 5½ miles (W.) from Nottingham; containing 380 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the west by the river Erewash, separating it from Derbyshire; and comprises by computation 1600 acres, about two-fifths of which are arable, and the remainder grass: the soil in general is clay. The road from Nottingham to Ilkeston, and the Nottingham canal, pass through the village, which is situated at the foot of a steep declivity near the river. The living is a rectory in two portions, each valued in the king's books at £4. 14. 4½.; net income, £440; patron, Lord Middleton. The tithes were commuted for an allotment of land in the year 1787. The church is an ancient structure, with a noble tower, and has sittings for about 150 persons.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.