Treswell (St. John the Baptist)
TRESWELL (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of East Retford, South-Clay division of the wapentake of Bassetlaw, N. division of the county of Nottingham, 5 miles (E. by S.) from East Retford; containing 228 inhabitants. The parish consists of 1721 acres: the soil is a fertile clay, except at the east end, where it joins the Trent marsh and is sandy. The living is a rectory, formerly in two portions, which were united in 1764; the eastern is valued in the king's books at £8. 1. 4., and the western at £9. 15. 8.: net income, £254; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of York. The church is ancient, with a lofty embattled tower. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.