The township comprises about 1200 acres. The river Mersey from Birkenhead to Rock-Ferry, called the Sloin or Sloyne, is very deep, and affords excellent anchorage for first-class vessels: the Lazzerets lie a little below. There is an ancient ferry; and docks are contemplated. It is said by merchants and shippers that the new docks ought to have been constructed in the bay of Tranmere instead of at Birkenhead, owing to the great depth of water in the Sloin, and to its being so completely backed by the hills, which would afford admirable shelter for the shipping. A bill was in 1846 introduced into parliament for the general improvement of the township, but owing to some opposition it was withdrawn after a considerable expense had been incurred, which fell on the promoters of the measure. The land to the south is principally the property of George Orred and George Chamlain, Esqrs., and northward of various persons, among whom are Mr. Sharp, Miss Thompson, and Mr. Rampling. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Rector of Bebington; net income, £150. The church, dedicated to St. Catherine, was built in 1831, at a cost of £2700; it is of plain exterior, with a tower, but the interior is very neat, has a gallery, and contains a fine painting of the Resurrection, by Le Brun, presented by T. Warrington, Esq. Another church is in contemplation, on land given by Mr. Orred. There are three places of worship for dissenters; also a school in connexion with the Church; a clothing club; and other charities.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.