TORVER, a chapelry, in the parish and union of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale north of the Sands, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 6 miles (W. S. W.) from Hawkeshead; containing 199 inhabitants. The manor of Torver, which takes its name from the river Torver, belongs to the noble owner of the liberties of Furness. The chapel was erected before 1661. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £59; patron, T. R. G. Braddyll, Esq. The interest of £200 was given by John Fleming, in 1777, in support of a free grammar school, for which a house has been built by subscription. The Baptists have a place of worship.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.