Tormarton (St. Mary)
TORMARTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Chipping-Sodbury, Lower division of the hundred of Grumbald's-Ash, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 4 miles (E. S. E.) from Chipping-Sodbury; containing 620 inhabitants. The parish is intersected by the road from Bristol to Malmesbury, and consists of 2616 acres. The living is a rectory, with the vicarage of Acton-Turville united, valued in the king's books at £27; net income, £800; patron and impropriator, the Duke of Beaufort. There is a chapel of ease at West Littleton.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.