Toller-Fratrum (St. Basil)
TOLLER-FRATRUM (St. Basil), a parish, in the union of Dorchester, hundred of Tollerford, Dorchester division of Dorset, 9 miles (N. W. by W.) from Dorchester; containing 67 inhabitants. The parish belonged to the brethren of the order of St. John of Jerusalem, whence it derived its distinguishing appellation Fratrum. The living is a discharged vicarage, with the living of Winford-Eagle annexed, valued in the king's books at £10. 6.; net income, £161; patron, J. Fleming, Esq. Near the road to Maiden-Newton are traces of an ancient intrenchment, upon an eminence called White Sheet: on Farn down, a barrow was opened many years since, which contained seventeen urns, full of firm bones and black ashes.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.