Tolland (St. John the Baptist)
TOLLAND (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Taunton, hundred of Taunton and Taunton-Dean, W. division of Somerset, 3½ miles (N. N. E.) from Wiveliscombe; containing 124 inhabitants. The parish comprises 825 acres by admeasurement. The road from Wiveliscombe to Dunster and Minehead runs through it on the south-west, and the old road to the same places on the north-east. Lime is quarried for agricultural use. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £7, and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes have been commuted for £140; there is a parsonage-house, and the glebe comprises 40 acres. The church is a very small ancient edifice.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.