Tilsworth (All Saints)
TILSWORTH (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Woburn, hundred of Manshead, county of Bedford, 3½ miles (N. W. by W.) from Dunstable; containing 311 inhabitants. It adjoins the road from Dunstable to Fenny-Stratford, and comprises about 1220 acres of arable, pasture, and woodland; the surface is varied, and the scenery pleasing. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8; net income, £60; patron and impropriator, Sir G. O. Page Turner, Bart. The small tithes have been commuted for £31. 10. The church stands on rising ground, is in the pointed style, and contains several old monuments of the Fowler family, one to Sir Henry Chester, K.B., and an ancient altar-tomb with a French inscription and the effigy of Adam de Tullesworth in sacerdotal robes. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.