TILBURY-JUXTA-CLARE, a parish, in the union of Halstead, hundred of Hinckford, N. division of Essex, 4 miles (N. N. W.) from Castle-Hedingham; containing 276 inhabitants. This parish derives the affix to its name from its proximity to Clare in Suffolk. It is about five miles in circumference, and is intersected by a rivulet that has its source in the adjoining parish of Ridgwell; the soil is moderately fertile, and the lands are in a good state of cultivation. The living is a rectory, consolidated with that of Ovington, and valued in the king's books at £8: the incumbent's tithes have been commuted for £260. 15.; £12 are paid to the rector of Great Yeldham, and the glebe contains 16 acres. The church is an ancient stone edifice, with a tower of brick.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.