Tidmarsh (St. Lawrence)
TIDMARSH (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union of Bradfield, hundred of Theale, county of Berks, 6 miles (W. N. W.) from Reading; containing 146 inhabitants, and comprising 754a. 2r. 3p. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £5. 2. 6., and in the gift of Robert Hopkins, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £220; the glebe contains 28¾ acres. The church is partly Norman, and partly in the early English style; the doorway is a particularly fine specimen of Norman architecture: the ceiling of the chancel is of panelled oak, and there are two slabs of blue marble, with some ancient brasses.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.