THURLESTONE, a parish, in the union of Kingsbridge, hundred of Stanborough, Stanborough and Coleridge, and S. divisions of Devon, 4 miles (W.by S.) from Kingsbridge; containing 437 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the English Channel, and on the east bank of the river Avon. It comprises 1763a. 29p., of which 1253 acres are arable, 167 meadow and pasture, 62 in orchards and gardens, 100 in brakes and common, and the remainder beach, &c. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £25. 10., and in the patronage of Mrs. Ann Ilbert: the tithes have been commuted for £328. 10., and the glebe consists of about 33 acres, with an excellent house lately built. The church appears to have been erected about the 14th century, and contains 200 sittings. A remarkable rock called Thurlestone rock, about a furlong out at sea, is supposed to have given name to the parish; it is arched, and in stormy weather the waves may be heard many miles off.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.