Thurlbear (St. Thomas)
THURLBEAR (St. Thomas), a parish, in the union of Taunton, hundred of North Curry, W. division of Somerset, 3½ miles (S. E.) from Taunton; containing 194 inhabitants. The parish comprises by admeasurement 940 acres: limestone is quarried, and stone for building. The living is a rectory and donative, in the gift of Lord Portman: the tithes have been commuted for £150; there is a parsonage-house, and the glebe contains 36 acres. The church is a Norman structure: it was anciently a chapel to the vicarage of St. Mary Magdalene, in Taunton, but the tithes were restored by Sir Thomas Petman, Bart.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.