Thrushelton (St. George)
THRUSHELTON (St. George), a parish, in the union of Tavistock, hundred of Lifton, Lifton and S. divisions of Devon, 10 miles (S. W. by W.) from Oakhampton; containing 628 inhabitants. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Mary-Stow: the impropriate tithes have been commuted for £130, and the vicarial for £109. By a deed dated 1504, the parishioners were allowed on certain conditions to have a cemetery near their chapel, to avoid the difficulty they experienced from inundation, in conveying their dead to the burialground at Mary-Stow.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.