UK Genealogy Archives logo

Thropple

THROPPLE, a township, in the parish of Mitford, union, and W. division of the ward, of Morpeth, N. division of Northumberland, 4 miles (W.) from Morpeth; containing 59 inhabitants. This place has successively belonged to the families of Bertram, Eure, Reveley, and Mitford: Henry Reveley Mitford, Esq., is the present proprietor. The township comprises about 900 acres, of which 875 are arable, meadow, and pasture, and 25 woodland and plantations; the surface is pleasingly varied, and the village occupies an eminence commanding extensive prospects over both land and sea. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £72. 16. 7. At Whittle Hill was a camp, of which the intrenchments have been removed for repairing roads, and the site almost obliterated by the plough: near the spot is an ancient barrow, in which coins have been found.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.