BICKLEIGH, a parish, in the union of Plympton St. Mary, hundred of Roborough, Midland-Roborough and S. divisions of Devon, 7 miles (N. N. E.) from Plymouth; containing 469 inhabitants. The Dartmoor and Plymouth railway passes along the parish. The living is a vicarage endowed with the great tithes, with the living of Sheepstor annexed, valued in the king's books at £11. 4. 7., and in the gift of Sir Ralph Lopes, Bart.: the tithes of Bickleigh have been commuted for £172. 10., and there are 33 acres of glebe. The patron lately rebuilt the church, and the new edifice was consecrated in August 1839.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.