Thornby (St. Helen)
THORNBY (St. Helen), a parish, in the union of Brixworth, hundred of Guilsborough, S. division of the county of Northampton, 3½ miles (S. E. by S.) from Welford; containing 229 inhabitants. This place is named in Domesday book Torneberie. At the Dissolution, the monasteries of Sulby and Pipewell appear to have had lands here; and in the reign of Elizabeth, a part of the property which had belonged to the former institution was granted to Sir Christopher Hatton. The parish comprises about 1200 acres, and is intersected by the road from Northampton to Leicester. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13, and in the gift of the Rev. J. Couchman: the tithes have been commuted for £329, and the glebe contains 48 acres. The poor have 24 acres of common land.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.