Bickington, Abbot's (St. James)
BICKINGTON, ABBOT'S (St. James), a parish, in the union of Holsworthy, hundred of Black Torrington, Holsworthy and N. divisions of Devon, 9 miles (S. W. by W.) from Torrington; containing 75 inhabitants. The neighbourhood abounds with limestone, and with compact stone of a blue colour, which is quarried for building and other purposes; marble of good quality is also obtained. The living is a perpetual curacy, endowed with a portion of the great tithes, and in the gift of the family of Rolle, to whom the remainder of the tithes belongs: the impropriate tithes have been commuted for £25, and those of the incumbent for £45. The church has some remains of ancient stained glass.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.