Thorn (St. Margaret)
THORN (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union of Wellington, hundred of Milverton, W. division of Somerset, 3½ miles (W.) from Wellington; containing 136 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 900 acres, of which the soil in some places rests upon limestone. The Western Canal, from Taunton to Tiverton, passes through. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £113; patron, the Archdeacon of Taunton: the great tithes have been commuted for £108, and the incumbent's for £54. The church was built about the year 1570.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.