Thorley (St. Mary)
THORLEY (St. Mary), a parish, in the liberty of West Medina, Isle of Wight division of the county of Southampton, 1 mile (E. S. E.) from Yarmouth; containing 163 inhabitants. It comprises 1518 acres, of which 1014 are arable, 359 meadow and pasture, 50 down, and 78 wood. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 18. 9.; patron, the Rev. James Penfold. The great tithes have been commuted for £257, and the small for £110: the vicar has a glebe of 16 acres. The church was erected by Amicia, Countess of Devon, who gave it to the priory of Christchurch, by which establishment it was retained till the Dissolution.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.