THEALE, a parish, in the union of Bradfield, hundred of Reading, county of Berks, 4¼ miles (W. by S.) from Reading. This place was formerly in the parish of Tilehurst, but has been separated from it by act of parliament, and made distinct. An elegant church in the later English style was erected in 1830, at the expense of Mrs. Sophia Sheppard; and under the provisions of the act, the living of Tilehurst will be divided, and a portion appropriated to this church, to be attached to the headship of Magdalen College, Oxford. The Rev. Thomas Sheppard, D.D., bequeathed £20 per annum for the establishment of a school.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.