Teversal (St. Catherine)
TEVERSAL (St. Catherine), a parish, in the union of Mansfield, N. division of the hundred of Broxtow and of the county of Nottingham, 4½ miles (W. by N.) from Mansfield; containing 423 inhabitants. The parish comprises about 2500 acres, of which 1050 are arable, 1343 pasture, and 155 wood: the population is entirely agricultural, with the exception of a few persons employed ill stocking-frame weaving. Part of Hardwick Park, the property of the Duke of Devonshire, extends into the parish. The Earl of Carnarvon is lord of the manor. Coal and limestone abound, but neither is now worked. The village is situated on a lofty eminence, near the source of the river Meden; and there are three hamlets, Fackley, Stanley, and Whiteborrow. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 19. 2., and in the gift of the Earl of Carnarvon: the tithes have been commuted for £522. 8.; the glebe contains nearly 42 acres. The church is in the Norman style, and has several old monuments of the Greenhalghe, Babington, and Molyneux families: over the chief entrance is a curious and beautiful Norman arch with symbolical representations of religious subjects. South of the church are the extensive ruins of the ancient mansion-house, built by Gilbert Greenhalghe in the reign of Henry VII., and the remains of a hanging garden on a magnificent scale: part of the mansion is now converted into a farmhouse.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.