Tendring (St. Edmund)
TENDRING (St. Edmund), a parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Tendring, N. division of Essex, 10 miles (E. by S.) from Colchester; containing 925 inhabitants. The parish is in the centre of the hundred, and comprises 2767a. 2r. 33p., of which about 2619 acres are arable, 50 pasture, 78 in woods and groves, and 20 waste. The surface is elevated, and the soil generally a rich loam resting upon gravel. A fair is held on the 14th of September. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £16, and in the gift of Balliol College, Oxford: the tithes have been commuted for £840, and the glebe contains 108 acres. The church is an ancient edifice, with a belfry-turret of wood, and has some interesting monuments. The union of Tendring comprises 32 parishes or places, containing a population of 26,251: the work-house, situated on the heath in the parish, was erected in 1838, at an expense of £6500, including the purchase of the site.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.