Templeton (St. Margaret)
TEMPLETON (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union of Tiverton, hundred of Witheridge, Collumpton and N. divisions of Devon, 5 miles (W. by N.) from Tiverton; containing 275 inhabitants. This parish belonged to the Knights Templars, and afterwards to the Hospitallers of St. John. It is intersected by the old road from Tiverton to Witheridge, and comprises 1588 acres, of which 129 are common or waste. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 15.; net income, £162 per annum; patron, Sir W. T. Pole, Bart. There is a parsonage-house, and the glebe contains about 70 acres.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.