Teignton, King's (St. Michael)
TEIGNTON, KING'S (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Newton-Abbott, hundred of Teignbridge, Teignbridge and S. divisions of Devon, 2 miles (N. E. by N.) from Newton-Bushell; containing 1498 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the navigable river Teign, and comprises 3278 acres, of which 538 are common or waste. In the neighbourhood are large beds of pipe and potters' clay, of very superior quality; and limestone is quarried. The living is a vicarage, with the perpetual curacy of Highweek annexed, valued in the king's books at £28. 13. 9.; patron, the Bishop of Exeter. The great tithes have been commuted for £252. 10., with a glebe of 3 acres; and the vicarial for £311, with 12½ acres. The church, which was enlarged in 1824, contains a monument with a singular epitaph on Richard Adlam, vicar in 1669. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans; and two schools partly supported by the vicar. Theophilus Gale, a learned nonconformist divine, was born here in 1628.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.