Teignton, Drews (Holy Trinity)
TEIGNTON, DREWS (HOLY TRINITY), a parish, in the union of Oakhampton, hundred of Wonford, Crockernwell and S. divisions of Devon, 11 miles (E. S. E.) from Oakhampton; containing, with the hamlet of Teignholt, 1315 inhabitants. The name is supposed to signify "the Druids' Town on the Teign." That river pursues its rapid course on the south, through scenery of the wildest description, and is crossed by Fingle bridge, in a romantic valley. The parish comprises 6937a. 3r. 25p., whereof 1349 acres are common or waste; it contains two quarries, the produce of which is chiefly applied to agricultural purposes. A fair is held at Candlemas, and another in Trinity-week. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £40. 13. 4.; net income, £776; patrons, the Ponsford family. Certain impropriate tithes have been commuted for £614. 17.; there is a parsonage-house, and the glebe contains 440½ acres. The church is an ancient and interesting structure, with a beautiful window of stained glass at the east end, and a fine Norman font. On the Shilston estate is a cromlech consisting of three supporting stones, each about six feet and a half high, with a covering stone twelve feet long and nine feet across the widest part. Upon the bank of the Teign is one of the celebrated logan, or rocking, stones; and at Preston-Bury are the remains of an encampment.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.