Teignton, Bishop's (St. John the Baptist)
TEIGNTON, BISHOP'S (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Newton-Abbott, hundred of Exminster, Teignbridge and S. divisions of Devon, 1¾ mile (W. by N.) from West Teignmouth; containing 992 inhabitants. This place appears to have taken its name from a sanctuary or asylum built here by Grandison, Bishop of Exeter, and which was invested with great privileges and immunities, and considered as inviolable. The bishop also erected a house with a chapel, "presaging what might in future time ensue to the great estate of the clergy, that his successors might have a place to lean and lay their heads unto if haply their temporalities should be seized:" the remains are still to be seen. The parish is bounded by the river Teign, and comprises 4724 acres, the whole being corn and pasture land with the exception of 381 acres which are common or waste: the surface is hilly; the grounds are well cultivated. Here are some extensive quarries affording compact blocks of various-coloured marble. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £25. 8. 10.; patron and incumbent, the Rev. John Comyns. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £496; and the vicarial for £215. 7., with a glebe of 8 acres. The church, which has been lately renovated and repewed, is principally in the Norman style, with an enriched western doorway in excellent preservation; near it are the remains of an ancient chapel, and there was formerly a chapel at Venn, in the parish.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.