Teddington (St. Mary)
TEDDINGTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Kingston, hundred of Spelthorne, county of Middlesex, 11 miles (S. W. by W.) from London; containing 1199 inhabitants, and comprising 1052 acres by admeasurement. The village stands on the western bank of the Thames, on the road from London, through Isleworth, to Hampton Court. Bushy Park, the usual country residence of His late Majesty William IV. and his queen Adelaide, before their accession to the throne, is partly in the parish. Here are the wax-bleaching grounds and candle-manufactory of Messrs. Barclay, the largest and most complete establishment of the kind in the kingdom, where during the summer months, nearly four acres of ground are covered with wax, of which about 200,0001b. are annually bleached, and in winter formed into candles by hand. Connected with this factory is a very extensive one of spermaceti, chiefly carried on in Leicester-square. The living is a donative curacy; net income £91; patron and impropriator, the Earl of Bradford: the tithes were commuted for land in 1799. The church, which has been repewed, is principally in the later English style, and contains the remains of Sir Orlando Bridgeman, who died in 1674, and of Dr. Stephen Hall, clerk of the closet to the Princess of Wales (mother of George III.), and 51 years minister of the parish, to which he was a liberal benefactor. Her Majesty the Queen Dowager lately presented £100 towards the erection of a parsonage-house. Twelve girls are instructed for £20 a year, the rent of cottages and lands purchased with £40 left by Dorothy Bridgeman in 1694, and with a smaller sum from the parish funds. There is also a national school.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.