Taynton (St. John)
TAYNTON (St. John), a parish, in the union of Witney, hundred of Chadlington, county of Oxford, if mile (N. W.) from Burford; containing 381 inhabitants. It comprises about 2150 acres, a small portion of which stands detached in the forest of Wychwood; the soil is partly light, and partly a strong clay, and the river Windrush runs through the parish. There are considerable quarries of excellent freestone. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 9. 4½.; net income, £56; patron and impropriator, Lord Dynevor: the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1821. The church is an elegant edifice in the later English style, and contains an ancient font highly enriched.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.
