Tatenhill (St. Michael)
TATENHILL (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Burton-upon-Trent, N. division of the hundred of Offlow and of the county of Stafford, 3½ miles (W. S. W.) from Burton-upon-Trent, containing, with the chapelries of Barton-under-Needwood and Wichnor, and the township of Dunstall, 2229 inhabitants, of whom 435 are in Tatenhill township. The parish comprises 9435 acres, and is crossed by the Grand Trunk canal. Tatenhill is an ancient village, seated in a deep romantic glen, between two high hills which gradually descend from the eastern border of Needwood Forest. The hamlet of Callingwood is beautifully situated near the confines of the forest, and contains a wood called Knightley Park, and the site of an old moated house that belonged to a family of that name. The manor of Callingwood is the property of Sir Oswald Mosley, Bart., by purchase from the late Abraham Hoskins, Esq., of Burton. The living is a rectory, annexed, with the prebend of Adbaston, to the deanery of Lichfield, and valued in the king's books at £26. 1.8.: the tithes have been commuted for £1337, and the glebe comprises 123½ acres. The church is in the early English style, with a tower: the interior was renovated and new pewed in 1838. At Barton and Wichnor are separate incumbencies. A national, an infants', and a Sunday school, are supported by subscription. In 1786 a Roman urn was ploughed up at Knightley Park, which contained a number of gold coins of the twelve first emperors.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.