Tangmere (St. Andrew)
TANGMERE (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of West Hampnett, hundred of Aldwick, rape of Chichester, W. division of Sussex, 3 miles (E. by N.) from Chichester; containing 225 inhabitants. It comprises 728a. 1r., of which about two thirds are arable, and the remainder meadow. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 5., and in the gift of the Duke of Richmond: the tithes have been commuted for £274; there is a parsonage-house, and the glebe contains 17 acres. The church is in the early English style, with a spire, and contains a Norman font: in the churchyard is a venerable yew-tree, 20 feet in girth at the height of a yard from the ground.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.