UK Genealogy Archives logo

Tamhorn

TAMHORN, an extra-parochial place adjacent to the parish of Whittington, in the union of Lichfield, N. division of the hundred of Offlow and of the county of Stafford, 3 miles (N. W. by N.) from Tamworth; containing 5 inhabitants. The Birmingham and Fazeley canal passes in the vicinity, and on the east flows the river Tame. The estate comprises a wood of 108 acres, and a farm of 505 acres; and is the property of Sir Robert Peel, who in the year 1827 purchased it from Lord George Cavendish.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.