Talland (St. Tallan)
TALLAND (St. Tallan), a parish, in the union of Liskeard, hundred of West, E. division of Cornwall; containing, with the town of West Looe, and part of the village of Polperro, 1450 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1860a. 2r. 17p., and is bounded on the south by the English Channel, and on the east by a small estuary called the Looe river, which is nearly dry at low water. Stone is quarried for the roads. A canal was constructed about the year 1830, from Moor's water, near Liskeard, to within two miles of West Looe, forming a communication with the river; and a new road has been made from the town towards Pelynt Church Town, from some parts of which the views are much admired. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £10; patron, N. Kendall, Esq.; impropriator, J. Graves, Esq. The great tithes have been commuted for £314. 14., and the vicarial for £136. A Roman Catholic chapel was lately erected by aid of a bequest from Sir Harry Trelawney.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.