UK Genealogy Archives logo

Tabley Superior

TABLEY SUPERIOR, a township, in the parish of Rosthern, union of Altrincham, hundred of Bucklow, N. division of the county of Chester, 2 miles (W. N. W.) from Knutsford; containing 510 inhabitants. It comprises 2428 acres, partly a clay and partly a sand soil; the surface is generally level, and the farms are principally pastured for the dairy. A Roman way called Holford-street passes through the township in its course from Manchester to Northwich, and here are the ruins of an ancient chapel called, from its situation by the road side, "The chapel in the street."

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.