Syresham (St. James)
SYRESHAM (St. James), a parish, in the union of Brackley, hundred of King's-Sutton, S. division of the county of Northampton, 4 miles (N. E.) from Brackley; containing 889 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Brackley to Towcester, and comprises about 1770 acres. Stone is quarried for building and other purposes. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13: net income, £152; patron, C. C. Dormer, Esq. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1765: there is a parsonage-house, with 33½ acres of land. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. The Rev. George Hammond, in 1755, bequeathed £400 for teaching fourteen boys; and in augmentation, Conquest Jones in 1773 left £100.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.