SWAY, an ecclesiastical district, in the parish of Boldre, union of Lymington, hundred of Christchurch, Lymington and S. divisions of the county of Southampton, 3½ miles (N.W.) from Lymington; containing 676 inhabitants. The church, which is dedicated to St. Luke, was consecrated in March, 1839, and is in the early English style; it contains 380 sittings, of which 300 are free. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Bishop of Winchester; net income, £120. There is a place of worship for Baptists. Various tumuli are dispersed over Sway Common.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.