DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.
UK Genealogy Archives logo

Swaffham-Prior (St. Cyriac)

SWAFFHAM-PRIOR (St. Cyriac), a parish, in the union of Newmarket, hundred of Staine, county of Cambridge, 5½ miles (W. by N.) from Newmarket; containing, with part of Reach hamlet, 1226 inhabitants. This parish, which includes a portion of Newmarket heath, is bounded on the north by the Cam; and several navigable drains, or lodes, communicating with that river, pass through it. A market and fair, anciently granted to the priory of Ely, have been long disused. The living consists of the consolidated vicarages of St. Cyriac and St. Mary, the former valued in the king's books at £16. 18. 11½., and the latter at £14. 12. 11.; net income, £301; patrons, alternately, the Bishop and the Dean and Chapter of Ely, the latter of whom are the appropriators. The tithes were commmuted for land and a money payment in 1805. There were formerly two churches in the same cemetery: that of St. Mary has fallen to ruin, except the tower, which, from the peculiarity of its situation, forms an interesting object; that of St. Cyriac has been lately rebuilt. In the parish are an endowed school and a national school.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.

Advertisement

Advertisement