SWADLINCOTE, an ecclesiastical district and a township, in the parish of Church-Gresley, union of Burton-upon-Trent, hundred of Refton and Gresley, S. division of the county of Derby, 4¾ miles (S. E. by E.) from Burton; containing 858 inhabitants. The township comprises 606a. 2r. 13p., of which about 13 acres are plantations, chiefly of fir, and the remainder arable and pasture. The soil is a strong clay, and the substratum abounds with coal, which is wrought to a considerable extent, and with various kinds of clay for pottery and earthenware, of which extensive works have been established; there is also an excellent clay for firebricks, great quantities of which are made. Tramroads have been formed from the coal-mines and potteries to the Ashby-de-la-Zouch canal. The church was erected by subscription, at a cost of £1500, and was consecrated in Oct. 1846; it is dedicated to Emmanuel, and is of stone, with narrow lancet-windows. The building consists of a nave, north and south transepts, an apse at the cast end, with a neat bell-turret at the western entrance, and contains 400 sittings, all free. The site, with ground for a churchyard, was presented by W. Eaton Mousley, Esq., of Derby. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Bishop of Lichfield. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.