Sutton-On-The-Hill (St. Michael)
SUTTON-ON-THE-HILL (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Burton-upon-Trent, hundred of Appletree, S. division of the county of Derby, 8 miles (W. by S.) from Derby; containing, with the hamlet of Ash, and the township of Orleston with Thurvaston, 594 inhabitants, of whom 138 are in Sutton township. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £4. 16. 8.; patron and incumbent, the Rev. G. Buckston, A.B.; impropriator, Thomas Cox, Esq. The great tithes have been commuted for £167; and the vicarial for £280, with a glebe of 2½ acres, and a house. The church stands on an eminence, and has a tower and spire forming a conspicuous object in the surrounding country. Fourteen children are educated and apprenticed for an annuity of £20, bequeathed in 1722 by Anne Jackson; the schoolhouse was erected by subscription in 1736. All the lands in the township, except one farm, were given by Humphrey Chetham to the Blue-coat hospital at Manchester.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.