Sutton, King's (St. Peter)
SUTTON, KING'S (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Brackley, hundred of King's-Sutton, S. division of the county of Northampton, 4 miles (S. E.) from Banbury; containing, with the hamlet of Walton, and part of the hamlets of Astrop, Charlton, and Purston, 1297 inhabitants. The parish is separated from the county of Oxford by the river Cherwell, parallel to which runs the Oxford canal. It comprises by admeasurement 4416 acres, nearly two-thirds whereof are pasture, and between 200 and 300 acres rich meadow land adjacent to the river; the soil passes through several varieties, from a stiff clay to a light loam. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 6. 8.; net income, £83; patron and impropriator, William Willes, Esq. The church is a fine edifice with a magnificent tower and spire; many parts are of Norman character, and the pulpit, which is extremely curious, is perhaps the oldest wooden pulpit in England. There are places of worship for dissenters.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.