DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.
UK Genealogy Archives logo

Sutton (St. Andrew)

SUTTON (St. Andrew), a parish, in the hundred of South Witchford, union and Isle of Ely, county of Cambridge, 6 miles (W. by S.) from Ely; containing 1599 inhabitants. The parish comprises by computation 6329 acres, of which 2000 are arable, 3296 meadow and pasture, and 1033 common and waste now inclosed. It had anciently a market and a fair, granted to the first abbot of Ely. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £10; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Ely. The great tithes have been commuted for £450, and the vicarial for £1175; the appropriate glebe comprises 72 acres, and the vicarial 45. The church, built by Barnet, Bishop of Ely, who died in 1373, is a beautiful specimen of the decorated English style. There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans; also a school endowed with £15 per annum. In 1634, some labourers discovered several ancient coins and gold rings, and three silver plates, one of which bore a curious inscription.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.

Advertisement

Advertisement