Sutcombe (St. Andrew)
SUTCOMBE (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Holsworthy, hundred of Black Torrington, Holsworthy and N. divisions of Devon, 5 miles (N. by E.) from Holsworthy; containing 523 inhabitants. It comprises about 3000 acres, the greater portion of which is arable, 50 acres in wood, and the remainder meadow and pasture; the soil is chiefly clay, and the lands in many parts swampy. A branch of the Launceston canal passes through the parish. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £17. 10. 7½., and in the patronage of the Rev. W. Cohern: the tithes have been commuted for £300, and there are 51 acres of glebe. The church has a Norman doorway, but is mostly of later date; and contains some neat monuments to the family of Davie. An almshouse for six persons was founded and endowed by Sir William Morris, secretary of state to Charles II.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.